Before you start, check the security settings on your WiFi router. This extender will only work on networks that use only WPA2 security. If your WiFi router is currently set to use WPA/WPA2 security, you will need to change this. Also note that this extender will only work on 2.4GHz networks (Cleverloop cameras only run on 2.4GHZ as well).
- Plug the WiFi extender into a USB power source, close to your WiFi router. This power source could be a USB port on your router or computer, or a USB wall charger. You are going to need a USB power source in the location where you want to place the WiFi extender once it is set up.
- Download the MiHome app from either the Play Store (Android) or App Store (Apple) and install it on your phone or tablet.
- Choose ‘Mainland China’ as your location (yes we know, but the app seems to work best if it thinks you are China).
- Go to the 'Sign in" page on the app, you can get to this by swiping down from the top of the screen that the app starts up on, by clicking on 'Profile' in the bottom right corner, or by clicking on the three line settings icon in the top left corner, then on the right arrow at the top right of the window that opens. Click on 'Sign up' to create an account.
- Follow the instructions to create an account (you can use NZ as your location here).
- The app should now detect your Mi WiFi Repeater (this can take up to 5 minutes - see below if your device isn't detected automatically). Click on your device, and you can choose the SSID (network name) of the network you want to extend, and then enter the password.
- The app will then configure your WiFi extender, and the LED light on the extender will change from orange to blue.
- If the configuration process doesn’t work, check the security settings on your router (see the note at the top of this solution).
- Unplug the extender, and move it to it’s final location. If you are using it to extend your network to a CleverLoop camera, try putting the extender half way between the router and the camera. You may need to experiment with locations to find the best spot to boost the WiFi signal.
- Set the SSID (network name) of the extended network to the same as the parent network (see option 1 below). This will allow your cameras to connect to either network without your having to change any WiFi credentials. After a reboot (unplug and plug back in) cameras will automatically connect to the network with the strongest signal.
If the app doesn't detect your WiFi repeater, you can set it up manually.
- Click on the '+' button in the top right of the 'My devices' screen in the app. and click 'Add device'
- Click 'Add manually'
- Click on the WiFi extender, the 9th option down the list.
- Reset your extender by holding down the reset button down (the hole below the LED light) with a paperclip or similar.
- Once the app has detected your extender, you can choose the SSID (network name) of the network you want to extend, and enter the password.
- From there the app will finish setting up the extender.
Once you have set up your extender, it will retain it’s settings if you switch it off and move it.
If you you want change any of the settings on your extender, say the SSID of the extended network, you can click on the device, and access the settings page.
'WiFi roaming' is a switch that sets the SSID of the extender network to the same as the parent network.
'WiFi settings' lets you change the SSID and password of the extended network, as well as making it a hidden network (stops it broadcasting the SSID).
'Connected device info' shows the number of devices currently connected to the extended network, and if clicked on takes you to a list of all the devices connected to the extended network, showing the IP and MAC addresses of the devices.
'Version info' shows the current firmware version on your WiFi extender and will alert you if newer firmware is available.
If you want to move your extender to a different network, we find it easiest to use a paperclip to press and hold the reset button (the hole below the LED light) and set the extender up from the start on the new network.